Skip to the content
- International Studies Association 2021 Virtual Conference program. I’m looking forward to some great sessions including one on strategic culture featuring new scholars.
- Economics 210A – World Economic History syllabus. The COVID-19 pandemic has revived the Malthusian world of population, diseases, and deaths. Professor Gregory Clark’s readings offer historical clarity.
- John Goldthorpe interview excerpts. The leading United Kingdom professor on social mobility reflects on his life and sociological research methods.
- Unequal Chances or Unequal Abilities TED talk: Professor Gregory Clark speaks on his longitudinal study of surnames and the genotype implications for social mobility.
- Why don’t more people go to college? comments: the replies to economist Tyler Cowen’s Marginal Revolution post offer insights into the social class stratification of higher education.
- The Academic Job Market Is Fake article: I find it helpful to read contrarian views about the winner-takes-all market in higher education.
- Academia Is A Cult TED talk: Karen Kelsky (The Professor Is In) explains how credentialism in higher education creates social stratification in terms of occupation outcomes.